St. George's Castle (Elmina Castle) Museum

The St. George’s Castle Museum is located within St. George’s Castle (often called ‘Elmina Castle’). It is thought that the name “Elmina” comes from the Portuguese name for this coast “Da Costa de el Mina de Ouro” (The Coast of Gold Mines). The castle was built by the Portuguese in 1482 but in 1996 it was reconfigured into a museum.